Vintage style furniture
The vintage style of furniture is probably the only style of furniture that has only one restriction, one's imagination. Vintage furniture is any piece of furniture that is anywhere between 30 and a 100 years old. Furniture that is beyond 100 years old is considered as an antique piece. Thus, there is a very fine line between antique and vintage and it is not uncommon for one to get confused between the two. At the same time, furniture that is manufactured anywhere between the 1950s and 1980s is known as newer vintage furniture aka the retro furniture. Thus, the range for the period of vintage furniture is between the 1920s and the 1980s.
However, a lot of people tend to get confused between a vintage piece and an old piece of furniture. A piece of furniture can be over 50 years old, but still not be considered vintage. This is because the term "vintage" is used to define the style of a particular period. The piece should be able to describe the essence of that particular period as a whole. One such famous example is that of the Eames chair which depicts characteristics of art in the mid-century modern era. This style is one that appeals mostly to treasure hunters, collectors and those who have a love for sensational connections.
Characteristics of Vintage Furniture:
There are a few stand-out characteristics while picking out pieces of vintage furniture. If you are looking out to decorate your home with some vintage classics, then here is what you need to look out for.
1) Vintage furniture is all about strong colours that complement each other. Thus, while picking out furniture pieces, lean towards the intense colours such as green, red, yellow, aquamarine, orange and blue.
2) A vintage style home is all about mixing the old with the new. Thus, do not completely lean towards vintage furniture to decorate a room with. Pick some new pieces that can complement the old ones so it seamlessly blends into one in the space present.
3) One of the major assumptions people have while picking out vintage furniture is that every piece should tell a story. While this is true to some extent, it does not always have to be the case. It is okay if a few pieces do not reek of nostalgia or do not look romantic. It has nothing to do with the charisma of a vintage piece. Do not look for a story in every piece or you will end up disappointed.
4) Incorporate lots of photo frames in your interiors. The living room especially should contain photo frames of family, friends, preferable portraits in black and white, or even sepia. This adds a very vintage-y vibe to the room. You can even hang some vintage looking paintings in the room to amp up the classy factor.
5) Experiment with the interior decoration aspects. Add little souvenirs and bits and bobbles that will just make the space look alive and happy. Your furniture does not always have to tell a story, but your home sure can.
Why is Vintage furniture so popular?
Major magazines cover vintage furniture pieces and make you wonder what makes Vintage furniture so popular. There are a few different reasons for this. Some of them include:
1) It is unique: Since vintage pieces are pretty old, it isn't as commonly available as modern day high tech furniture. This means that these pieces become less common as time goes by. They are no longer mass-produced and thus, using them in your home gives it uniqueness like never before. They give the room a cool factor, individuality, and style as well.
2) Creates a harmonious space: Since the vintage category of furniture is one that spans several decades, you have the liberty of picking pieces that are from different eras. Thus, for example, you can pick pieces from the retro era and the mid-century modern era and combine them carefully to curate a collection that creates a harmonious space. This will make your home visually appealing as all the pieces speak of a different day and age.
3) Budget-friendly: If you want to decorate your home but your budget does not allow you to splurge on new furniture pieces, head to the vintage store or any vintage auctions and get yourself some classic vintage pieces at a steal. One added advantage of this is that the quality of the furniture will be better too, as back in the day finer materials were used for fabrication.
4) It is eco-friendly: Since you are opting for furniture pieces that have already been made, you are not contributing to the cutting down of trees or extraction of raw materials in any way. Furthermore, you are also saving furniture pieces from finding their way to the landfills.
All you have to do is have a keen eye for detail and thrift stores, and you are bound to find gems for your home in the form of Vintage furniture!
Are you designing your new home, a restaurant or are you working on any other interior design projects for which your require vintage style furniture and don't know where to purchase the best quality furniture at competitive rates? If that is the case you should know that vintage style furniture can be bought in China at very competitive prices!
The city of Foshan (China) accommodates more than 5,000 furniture factories! Such a huge selection of furniture at low prices can’t be found in any other city in the world! Interested? To buy vintage style furniture in China just contact us and schedule your visit to Foshan for only 5-7 days. Please click here for more information.
We at Globus provide door-to-door services for all your furniture needs. We assist you before, during and after your purchase and make sure that you get exactly what you desire at the best possible rates and the highest possible quality. Just let us know what you are looking for and we get back to you with the most convenient solution.
Find our contact details here or send the message below!
comments powered by Disqus